Monday, May 22, 2006

Back from Prague




Friday I took off to Prague to attend an intensive Czech language course. It normally starts in the afternoon till 5 PM and then Saturday for five hours in the morning and Sunday again for five hours. The participants are generally the same people from Germany and Austria. We have our little traditions such as on Friday evening after the first class we meet up and walk up to Kloster Shenk a restaurant that is situated in a Cloister for men that is still in service. I have not seen any monks but they tell me that they are there hidden from public view.
On the way back I stopped at a town called Krushevitze (phonetic spelling) which is a brewery town making the famous beer of the same name. The picture is of the restaurant I stopped at and had not only one but two types of dumplings, potato and bread that the Czechs are famous for. The other picture is of a tumble down house near the restaurant. You can see a sign on a stone post which says "na prodej" which means for sale. I just thought it looked interesting.

This morning I called up the reservations office of the student quarters where I usually stay as it is cheap and actually made a reservation in Czech without once having to speak English or German. Usually the people in the office can speak other languages so when they sense you are having a problem they switch. It is about time since I have been working on this language since 1999 and should have had it down long ago...

On wednesday I return to Prague and begin rehearsals for the Philip Glass opera "In the Penal Colony" which will have performances on the 29th and 30th of May.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim,
an interesting little house, I aggree.
Chat to the people if you are having a bit of time and find out what it goes for.
Gabriela