Wednesday, May 31, 2006

back again from Prague

I got back from Prague last night or should I say early this morning around 3 AM. The performance finished at about 9:30 at the "Fabrika" and I wanted to go back to where I was staying at the Student dormitory Kolej Kajetanka of the Charles University (one of the oldest in Europe, the university not the student dorm) but Ivan the manager had not counted the money from the ticket sales. He asked me to come back around eleven PM so I had to schlepp with subway, streetcar and bus to where my car was parked at the Pyramid Hotel .The reason I was not parked at the dorm had to do with the fact that my car was stolen last November out of the parking lot, so the Pyramid being a couple of blocks east has a guarded parking place costing about 11 dollars a day and worth the security. I can always take the train from Hof where I live to Prague and spare the parking cost. If I want to get back fast as possible, as in this case to my teaching at a local High School today, it had to be the car. I picked up the car, went to the dorm as quickly as possible to get my suitcase, cooking utensils etc. and sped off in the direction I hoped would lead me back to La Fabrica, the place where the opera took place but Prague is not so easy. I followed along the Vltava river but suddenly I could no longer go straight but had to cross over the river. Then I was completely turned around. I finally had to ask a taxi cab driver to let me follow him to my destination. If you look at the link and can find the word Hradcany which is the famous castle, then up to the word Holesovice in the northeastern corner before the river, you can see approximately where I had to drive. I had to simply get to holesovice to the north and on the map it looks simple but in reality.....


The 28th of May, having a bit of time after a morning rehearsal, I decided to check out a vegetarian restaurant in the old city part of Prague. It is called the Lehka Hlavna which means the "Light Head" in Czech. I chose the "Pesto ze susenych rajcat s olivym ocejem a pecivem" which is sun dried tomatoes pesto with olive oil and bread for the Antipasto and then not being very adventurous had the recommended ( I found the restaurant on a website) stir fry eggplant etc. with cous cous which was excellent with a good house red wine to accompany the meal. The entire bill came to about 12 dollars including a fresh fruit bowl with chocolate mousse "ovoce fondue s cocola dovou" to dip the fruit in. I walked the 2 miles or so back to my room to work off the dinner. The best thing was that I had no idea where the address of the place was having naturally left all my maps back in Germany so when I got to the old city part of Prague, I dropped into an internet cafe and viola! there I found it.

No comments: