Tuesday, June 06, 2006

the "Ossecker Stube"

My friend John from the States said that I should profile more about where I live and that I began yesterday with a few pictures and descriptions of the town of Hof. He also said that I should mention my favorite "watering holes" etc. and yesterday I was at the Ossecker Stube. I often walk here on a late Sunday afternoon for a bit of "Imbiss" which is Germany for a light meal and a "Zeugl" beer. This beer is a tasty unfiltered, lightly heated in the making process beer that has the same yeast content, seasonings and alcohol content as normal beer but less carbonation. It has a golden brown color and not clear because it is unfiltered. I generally order a "Brotzeit" or bread and cold cuts platter literally on a wooden plate and wash it all down with a couple of pints of this great beer. Horst Hager is the proprietor his son is the cook, his wife is the baker of excellent desserts, and the other son who is in trade school is there on weekends to help out.  My son Nate and his wife Kellie visited this place with me a few years back and were quite impressed. One other thing that is interesting is that although it is a 15 minute walk from my place, the little town is surrounded by fields and farm houses with barns are in the town complete with cows, pigs etc. You have a feeling of being entirely in the country.  The owner Horst talks in Hofer dialect which takes a while to learn when you first come here. That means you learn to understand it but it would be difficult to  speak it.

Ossecker Stuben, Am Kulm 17, 95030 Hof, Family Brunhuber, Telefon 09281/6148, open Wednesday to Friday at 5 PM , Saturdays from 2 PM, and Sondays from 11 AM 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallo,

Die Telefonnummer ist leider falsch! Ich hab im Telefonbuch nachgeschaut, dort steht 09281/61483. Und unter dieser Nummer kann man dann auch die Familie Brunhuber erreichen!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!