Sunday, June 18, 2006

A few things happening here lately.

It is World Cup time here in Germany and everywhere are signs of this madness for lack of a better word. America had a great game yesterday with only nine members playing in the latter part of the game. Some German friends called me up to congratulate me although I had nothing to do with the play. One sees the German flag all around, on cars, in windows,being carried etc. and this is not so unusual except it is in Germany where national pride is seldom displayed as in other countries. Flagge Deutschland


The bear that has been loose for the last month or so is still a worthy news item. The first bear in Germany in 170 years and a problem. click here for a translation of the latest reportage in the Süddeutsche Zeitung. If the English is a bit strange at times it is because of the translation site that I use but you can get the gist of the whole thing at any rate.

We are having high summer weather for a change since about a week and a half ago. I notice that I have a lot more energy with the extra dosage of sun and my bike has been calling me from the cellar wanting to get out and do some kilometers. I did get out last evening getting about 20 kilometers in with subsequent tiredness as I am plainly out of shape. Below is a typical plan for a bike tour in the Fichtelgibirge area where I live. Bischofsgrün, literally Bishops Green, is a ski area as well that has snow well into the springtime and is about a 45 minute ride from Hof. Fichtelgebirge translates into fir forest mountains and they surround the Hof area. Great for hiking as well. Three rivers have their beginnings here within one hours drive from hof.




No comments: