Monday, June 05, 2006

The city of Hof, Germany

A friend of mine suggested that I show a little bit about where I live in Hof, Germany. The picture below is the airport at Pirk where I often catch a flight to Frankfurt and then fly to the States. The Airport is not far from where I live and I often walk out to the airport or ride my bike past it. In winter there is a cross country trail which borders along the landing strip. There is also a restaurant nearby with a beer garden naturally which makes the walk there a double pleasure.



This is our Rathaus or City Hall which is located in the center of town.


Hofer Rathaus an der Ludwigstraße
The next picture is the theater where I have worked and it is one of the newest in Germany with a great Canteen in an atrium like setting with tropical plants among others. When they finally get to the point of not smoking in doors it will be the best canteen in all of Germany. Many an evening has been spent there after a long rehearsal...
Theater Hof

This is a picture of Fernweh park with its sign post forest. As mentioned in a previous letter, I do the translations in English for the website. Send me a sign if you are interested in being presented to the world on a sign

Fernwehpark

This is the City "Waffen" or shield


This is where Hof is located on the map in Germany. It is about 20 kilometers west from the Czech border and is in the corner of northeast Bavaria, almost touching Thuringia and Saxony to the north
.
Deutschlandkarte, Position von Hof hervorgehoben
The oldest church is the Lorenz church built in 1230 AD
Lorenzkirche - älteste Kirche in Hof

this is the main railstation where I first came in to Hof for an audition at the theater.

Hof Hauptbahnhof

In the winter at Christmas time there is a Market in front of the St. Michael`s Church and directly across from the Rathaus










The most important day of the Year for beer drinkers is "Schlappentag" or Slippers Day to commemorate the day 500 years ago when all able bodied men had to practice shooting once a year to keep in practice in order to protect the city from outside enemies. The beer is brewed only for this day (you can buy it for about a month in bottle form) and is unusually potent. There are ambulances on hand at the beer gardens to take guests that have imbibed a bit too much to the local clinic for detox.

1 comment:

Dajo said...

Thank you for the pictures! My ancestors came from this area of Germany (Wolfrum), and I am always interested in the area. Hopefully I will someday get to come there to visit. I seems like an ideal place for a Summer vacation.