Sunday, May 10, 2020

May 4 2020 making semolina breakfasts

Since I have been here in Germany there is a type of wheat flour named Grieß and from this flour one makes Grießbrei or as I recently discovered in English semolina porridge. Many things and words are not translated everyday and one accepts the word without bothering to translate in my case into English. Since my Wednesday routine is Grießbrei for breakfast after many years I wondered if we had this type of flour in English and lo and behold there it was. I have never used semolina flour in the U,S. although being acquainted with the word. Semolina is used to make pasta and desserts. The closest I came to it is wheat being used as a breakfast cereal is in Wheatena but that is not the same thing. Semolina is thicker than normal flour and has more taste.  This brings me to Stellcut  oats. I have often bought steel-cut  oats in the PX where I shop at the military base at. Grafenwoehr and it is not cheap but makes a great breakfast. I don’t go often to the base as it is an hour or so drive and most of what I need can be bought on the economy here where I live. I discovered about a a year or so ago that steel-cut oats (with steel blades) are hulled oats (outer inedible shell) cut into tiny pieces. Hulled oats are also known as groats and the taste is like steel cut oats only more chewy. They should be soaked a long time and then cooked but like with steel cut oats can be made the night before. I put a cup of groats into a sauce pan and 3 cups of water and a bit of salt. I turn the stove burner on to about medium and set my time for 45 minutes. I then cover the pan and leave it over night. I start the my breakfast with doling out two portions which leaves 2 portions in the pan. I add milk, fruit, homemade jelly and into the microwave for 2 minutes and voila breakfast is ready.  Groat porridge is chewy, tasty with a consistency not unlike tapioca. The advantage is with the leftover porridge is to put it in the refrigerator to use a few days later.  The leftover porridge as is good as it was several days ago and doesn’t become mushy like oatmeal.  The cost of a package of 1000 grams is less than 3 euros while steel-cut oats can cost upwards to 8 or 9 dollars. 

No comments: