Sunday, May 03, 2020

May 2, 3 2020

A sort of rainy clear sometimes day here in Germany. Went to the bakery with my mask on and got 2 loaves of „Bauern Brot“ or „Farmers bread“ in German. This particular bakery is one of the few businesses that only accepts „Bar Geld“ or cash.  Many stores not only accept bank cards and or credit cards, the readers also have blue tooth receivers so I can use my smart phone to pay. The Scandinavian countries almost exclusively use card payments and cash very seldom used to pay for something. I am still developing my internet teaching skills with music instruction. It is difficult to correct a piano students mistake without showing the keyboard and simultaneously playing. Luckily most students have a bit of musical talent and are able to grasp what should and should not be played. The news is full of reports on how people are coping at home and work. The 12th graders are carefully going back to classes in smaller groups to prepare for final exams similar to American Highschools senior exams, They get a passing grade for an Abitur which is like a diploma.
    Sunday May 3. Walk to bakery for Brötchen (rolls) and croissants. Everyone going into bakery puts on their masks. I paid using my IPhone Apple wallet. The only problem is the phone doesn’t recognize my face and I have to use digital access. Today if the weather holds (windy and cold) I will go to my garden to make some repairs on greenhouse and gate.  Yesterday I made a quiche with vegetables ( using a frozen bag of mixed vegetables). I finally have to succumbed to buying frozen food from a distributor who comes once a month. The main advantage is I get the frozen vegetables that I want especially frozen corn which is difficult to come by here in Germany. We can buy canned corn now which wasn’t a possibility in the past as many other American type foods were not when I first arrived in 1991.  This has all changed for the better as chicken in all ways is now available. At the time the only use for chicken was soup chicken and rotisserie chicken. Gradually chicken breast chicken thighs, and whole chickens became available.  This observation is only where I was shopping as I am sure that in Berlin and in big cities there may have been more selection. I mentioned my garden which is about a quarter of an acre sporting a small garden house and two greenhouses. The metal greenhouse I bought and put together and the other is self made with wood and plastics sheets.
 Germans love their gardens and one can rent a plot and then add structures.  The yearly rent is quite cheap and one can rent the garden for as long as one wants. 

No comments: