Sunday, December 31, 2006

Silvester Abend or New Years Eve



They don´t call it New Years Eve here in Germany but the evening is named after an obscure Saint Silvester. I sang the role of the Herzog von Urbino (Duke) in the Strauss Operetta " A Night in Venice" this evening at the Stadhalle in Bayreuth. The website has an interesting 360 degree picture of the theater and the surroundings. After the operetta there was a buffet dinner and then promptly at midnight, fireworks outside in the courtyard. Shortly before midnight a group of large Bavarians with leather shorts complete with hats and feathers came into the banquet hall of the theater and I discovered they were part of the fireworks display. They carried those short cannons called "Arkbusses" and fired them from the balcony outside of the theater during the fireworks display. They were from a local shooting club. The picture at the bottom is of the Operetta on the stage. Das ungeheure Engagement des Theaters Bayreuth machte sich bezahlt. Am Ende wurde das Ensemble durchaus euphorisch gefeiert. Foto: Harbach

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will not concur on it. I assume warm-hearted post. Particularly the title attracted me to read the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Good post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.