Sunday, August 20, 2006

getting to the end of vacation

It is that time of the summer when I am getting ready to go back to Germany after a long pause here in the States. I traveled over 4000 miles from New Jersey to almost upstate Minnesota.
It is always interesting to come from Germany to see what is happening here and my reactions to what I see and feel. I get a different perspective each time I come here and it is mostly positive.

In Germany we can drive as fast as we want on certain stretches of the Autobahn. We are also able when necessary to drive to some point therefore twice as fast. Here on the Interstate highways there is a steady monotony of speed and it is difficult to cover 60 miles in less than an hour, mostly only 50 miles in an hour. The good part is that I noticed when traveling on the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey for example is that thousands of cars are proceeding orderly on 4 to 6 lanes at any given time and there is a surprising lack of accidents. I don´t think I saw more than 2 or 3 fenderbenders in the entire 2 week trip. The truck drivers are more dangerously aggressive here on certain stretches of the interstates, but all in all the roads are a safer way to travel than in Europe. The negative side is the danger of wandering into a small town off the thruways and encountering revenue hungry local speed enforcement police. I mentioned to my travel companion who is from Germany that they are like bandits lurking behind every tree waiting for unsuspecting out of state motorists. This is not the case in Germany where "Blitz" cameras take care of speeders notifying them in the mail after the fact. The police concentrate more on a variety of offenses including east block country thieves trying to shlepp off German cars or trucks with contraband etc. The German police are a national para-military organization much like our state police and not revenue gatherers for the small backwater towns.

No comments: